Call for Applications: Basic Underwater Archaeology Course 2016
(Deadline: 19th August 2016)
The International Centre for Underwater Archaeology Zadar (ICUA) is organizing a 2-week basic training course on underwater archaeology, due to take place in Zadar, Croatia, in period form 26th September – 7th October 2016.
The course will consist of theoretical and practical (hands on) instruction in the basic techniques of underwater archaeological excavation. Archaeologists from ICUA, Han-Vrana and the University of Zadar will conduct theoretical lessons, complemented by courses in specialty diving according to the requirements of the SSI / PADI system. Practical instruction will take place in the frame of archaeological researches in the Pakoštane, Zadar environs, in order to allow the participants acquire the best possible knowledge of basic research techniques.
The maximum number of trainees will be 4 persons.
Expected profile of participants: archaeologists (including researchers, or university students enrolled in study courses for 2nd level degrees) with no or scarce diving experience, as well as experts in different disciplines (conservators, geologists, marine biologists, etc) who are interested in developing multidisciplinary skills and participate in underwater archaeology researches.
Language skills: participants must be proficient in the English language, since English will be official language of the course.
3. Tentative Programme
Programmed activities will include:
• Part one (26th September-1st October): This part is optional, for participants with scarce diving experience or to ones who wish to advance in the category or add diving specialty. The course is conducted in English, according to SSI or PADI methodology. It will be possible to attend one of the following Specialty courses: Night dive, Boat Diving, Navigation, Wreck Diving, Deep diving, CPR & First Aid Course etc. Courses in theoretical and practical part will be lead by SSI / PADI certified instructors. Participants completing any of these courses will receive an official SSI / PADI Certificate.
• Part two (3rd-7th October): course on underwater archeology. The theoretical part of the course will be conducted at ICUA Zadar, and a practical part in Pakoštane, at the archaeological site. Lectures will be conducted according to the ICUA program for underwater archeology, and expanded on basis of underwater archeology at the University of Zadar. All participants will take part in archaeological excavations of the ancient site for on-site training. Participants completing this course will receive an ICUA official certificate of successful course completion.
Underwater archaeology theoretical lectures are conducted in the morning hours from 08:30-10:30 as it follows:
1. Mladen Pešić, ICUA: Underwater survey techniques
2. Luka Bekić, ICUA: Protection of the underwater cultural heritage
3. Mladen Pešić, ICUA: Underwater documentation
4. Mate Parica, UNIZD: Underwater finds and features
5. Marko Meštrov, Han-Vrana: Seafaring in Pašman channel in ancient times
6. Guest lecture
Underwater archaeology course practical exercises which every participant has to learn are divided by the days:
• Orientation exercises: 180°, 120°, 90°
• Searching exercises
• Spot marking
• Use of water pump and hoses
• Underwater use of water dredge in a trench excavation
• Underwater photo documentation of a trench and a site
• Underwater drawing documentation and post processing of data
• Packing, labeling and transport of finds
After the course, participants are expected to be diving proficient and to have basic practical insight in underwater archaeological techniques. Participants will also have to give a final exam (composed of 18 questions), necessary in order to obtain the official ICUA Basic underwater archaeology certificate.
4. Participation costs
The price of the Basic underwater archaeology course is 1.000,00 Euro.
Selected applicants will receive included in the price of the course:
• Accommodation during the course
• Local transfers to the training sites
• ICUA Manual on underwater archaeology
• Rented diving equipment (tanks and weights)
• Insurance against injury
• SSI / PADI manual (optional)
• SSI / PADI Diving Certificates (optional)
• ICUA certificate of attendance and successful completion of the course
• Submerged Heritage Magazine
• ICUA T-shirt & cap
Selected applicants will not receive:
• reimbursement or contributions for their travel to/from Zadar
• any daily allowance or other forms of additional financial support during the course
• university education (minimum first-level degree) on archaeology or related fields
• first level diving knowledge
• medical certificate ensuring fitness for diving
• diving insurance
• at least 18 years of age
• professional experience in archaeology and/or management and preservation of underwater archaeological sites will be considered as a plus
• current professional affiliation to public institutions responsible for cultural heritage safeguarding will be considered as a plus
Applicants should send to ICUA the following documents, no later than 19th August 2016, 12am:
• Curriculum Vitae (on Europass CV template)
• copy of the diving card
• valid diving medical certificate
• diving insurance
Applications and accompanying documents must be sent per email in electronic form to ICUA Zadar (to the attention of Mr. Mladen Pešić,
Incomplete applications, applications sent after the above-mentioned deadline will be rejected.